Beetroot Pachadi | Onam Sadya
Beetroot Pachadi is a traditional South Indian side dish which is similar to North Indian Raita. Pachadi is usually served on the auspicious occasion of Onam. It’s also a very healthy dish with minimum oil and nutritious ingredients…beetroot, coconut, curd.
Beetroot Pachadi Ingredients-
- Beetroot-2 small
- Cumin Seeds-1/4tsp
- Ginger-1/2 inch
- Grated Coconut-1 cup
- Green Chilli-2
- Mustard seeds- 1/2tsp
- Salt-to taste
- For tempering –
- Coconut Oil-1tbsp
- Dry Red Chilli-2
- Mustard seeds -1/4tsp
- Curry leaves-1 string
- Cut beetroot into medium size pieces, add salt and boil it in a pressure cooker. Cook till 4 whistles.
- When cool, take a blender and coarsely blend it/mash or grate.
- Make a paste of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chilli, ginger,3-4 curry leaves and coconut, using a small amount of water to get a smooth paste
- Whisk the curd to get a smooth texture. Keep it aside. If the curd is sour, you can add a small amount of sugar to adjust the taste.
- Take the coarse beetroot in a pan/kadhai. Cook till it boils, next add the coconut paste and mix well. Allow boiling on low heat.
- Add the whisked curd to beetroot gravy and mix well. Keep stirring and cook for 1 minute, make sure it does not boil. Remove from heat.
- Lastly splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilli and curry leaves. Add this to the pachadi and mix well. Cover with a lid for few minutes before serving.