Bathua ki daal |Sagpaita | Shakpaita |Chenopodium
Bathua ki daal; Chenopodium; or Sagpaita is a very popular dish from Uttar Pradesh which is made by cooking bathua with urad daal or daal of your choice, but the preferences are urad daal and chana daal. This daal tastes delectable with plain boiled rice but also goes well with Makke ki roti, Bajre ki roti.
Bathua ki Daal Ingredients-
- Bathua (Chenopodium)- 100gm
- Dal (Pulses)- washed and soaked
- Split moong daal -2tbsp
- Tovar daal -2tbsp
- Split chilka urad dal – 1tbsp
- Hing -1tsp
- Haldi powder -1tsp
- Salt-as per taste
- Ghee-1 ½ tbsp
- Dry Red chili -1
- Onion -1 medium (finely chopped)
- Grated ginger-1tsp
- Garlic pods finely chopped -1tsp
- Tomato -1 small (finely chopped)
- Red chili powder -1tsp
- Garam masala powder -1tsp
- Clean and chop bathua leaves properly.
- In a pressure cooker add all the daals, bathua leaves, Haldi, salt and 1 glass of water. Close the lid and let it cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Heat 1tbsp ghee in a kadhai, add jeera, hing, dry red chili and let it splutter. Next, add the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Next, add the chopped tomatoes and fry till tomatoes are soft.
- Mix red chili powder and garam masala powder, fry for another 1 minute. Pour the boiled daal to the masala and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. Add warm water if daal is too thick inconsistency.
- Daal is ready, take it in serving bowl. Temper it with garlic, dry red chili fried in ghee and serve hot.