Lapsi | Fada Lapsi
Lapsi is a sweet dish made with broken wheat, sugar/jaggery, dry fruits, and ghee. Dessert specialty of Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra; very rich in flavor and has good nutritional value.
- Broken wheat/Dalia/Lapsi/Fada -1 cup (150 gm)
- Ghee -3tbsp
- Dalchini (cinnamon stick)-1inch
- Nutmeg powder -1tsp
- Cardamom powder -1tsp
- Gud grated/broken (Jaggery) -100gm
- Dry fruits -2tsp
- Chopped nuts -for garnish
- Water -3 cups
- Heat water in a pan, add jaggery and let it dissolve completely. Keep aside. (Ratio of water is generally 1:3, for 1 cup lapsi 3 cups of water)
- Add ghee in a kadhai, fry the dry fruits till light golden. Keep aside.
- In the same ghee, add dalchini stick and jaiphal powder. Add the lapsi to it and fry till golden in color. Keep the flame on medium-low.
- When golden in color, add the gud wala chashni to it and fried dry fruits. Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes on low flame. It will absorb the water and increase in quantity.
- Open and check in between to make sure the water is there and it does not stick in kadhai. Add the cardamom powder. Mix and fry for another 2 minutes to get the thick texture.
- Yummy lapsi is ready. Garnish with chopped nuts and serve hot.
- Use thick grain/Dalia to make this dessert; fine-grain can become mushy.
- The ratio of water is generally 1:3, for 1 cup lapsi 3 cups of water.
- You can use sugar instead of gud(jaggery)
- If making with sugar, do not make chashni. Add warm water to lapsi and let it cook. When it is cooked then add sugar as per your taste and fry.
- It will become dry after cooling, so it’s better to leave some moisture while cooking.